Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Is my marriage legal?

Q: About two years ago I was married in Argentina. I am a U.S. citizen, my husband was not. He is an Argentine citizen. We were going to do paperwork to bring him home, but things didn't work out and now we're divorcing.

I would like to know whether or not the marriage is even considered legal and binding in the U.S. ? There has never been any paperwork turned in, and I never changed my status.

I ask, because my ex is working through divorce proceedings,and is threatening me if I don't give him money for the divorce. I have no money. And the divorce is for Argentina. I'm not sure where I stand in terms of anything.

I've looked at the divorce papers, and as far as I can tell, they don't say anything about me owing him money. We had NOTHING in both of our names.

He is basically threatening to have me brought up on charges if I don't. Is there really anything he can do? I'm in the US, he is in Argentina and he is not U.S. citizen at all. We at no point lived together or anything.

A: Your marriage is legal. The US government recognizes as legal and binding any marriage that is considered so where it is performed. What you should do about it, however, is a different issue. Perhaps you should consult a lawyer in the US. You might even be able to divorce him in the US, but you'll need to talk to an expert about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment